Syrien

Ezra - Church of St George

Photo: Ezra - Church of St George

 

Verbindung mit persisch-hellenistischer Sagenwelt: 

++

Aus christlicher Zeit (Quelle: Aufhauser, Drachenwunder):

  • Tempel zu Shakka (Σακκαία) in Batanaea (Südost-Syrien):
    ... Γεωργίο[ν] και Σέργιον μεγάλον ... (367 n. Chr.) - weitere Details s. unten
     
  • Klosterkirche in Ezr’a (Zorava) in der Trachonitis (20 Meilen von Shakka entfernt) mit Reliquien des hl. Georg (515/16 n. Chr.) - weitere Details s. unten
     
  • Georgskirche in Nahita (623 n. Chr.) = Nahtah / ناحتة (?)
     
  • Georgskirche in Zahouet el Khudher (ohne Datum) = زهوة الخضر (?)
    cf. http://sanktgeorg.net/content/interpretatio-christiana (al-Khidr, Chidr)
     
  • Georgskirche in Amra (ohne Datum) = عمرة (?)

++

Shaqqa, Shakka / شقا‎

in ancient times: Sakkaia (Σακκαία), Saccaea, Maximianopolis

Gouvernement As-Suwayda' located on the Jabal el Druze volcanic plateau, inhabitants are mainly Druze

http://goo.gl/maps/vKSPG

- Church dedicated to Saint George, originally a Roman civil basilica. It is believed that this church is the oldest one dedicated to the martyr Saint George on the basis of a Greek inscription naming the building for the "holy and triumphant" martyr George. It is dated to either AD 368 or 197. In the 5th century Maximianopolis was an episcopal see, as indicated by the participation of its bishop Severus as a signatory of the Council of Chalcedon in 451. An inscription of 594 speaks of the local bishop, named Tiberinus, having erected a martyrium of Saint George and other martyrs.

- Situated 100 km south of Damascus and west of Shahba is the small town of Shaqqa. Shaqqa was great in size and importance in the Roman and Byzantine empires. Under the Romans it had the status of a colony and in the Christian era became a bishopric. The two main items of historical interest are the Roman palace, which is called in Arabic Al Kaisariyeh. It was the resident quarters of the governor and was the capital of the Roman province. The other important ruin is the chapel, which is now a Druze meeting hall. This chapel was named after Saint George and included a monastery.

Zorava, bei Ezr’a (Izraa) / إزرع

Gouvernement Darʿā

http://goo.gl/maps/Wrg7R http://www.geographic.org/geographic_names/name.php?uni=-3512428&fid=600...

- Kirche des hl. Georg

https://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/73769061.jpg

https://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/73769235.jpg

Diomedes hat den Tempel eines heidnischen Gottes in eine Kirche des hl. Georgios umgewandelt und dann in dem erneuerten Gotteshaus eine Reliquie des Georgios niedergelegt. 515/6 n.Chr.

Quelle: Travels in Syria and the Holy Land by Burckhardt, John Lewis, 1784-1817 (dt.: Johann Ludwig Burckhardt, Reisen in Syrien, Palästina und der Gegend des Berges Sinai. Aus dem Englischen. Weimar 1823)

http://travels-in-syria-and-the-holy-land.t.ebooks2ebooks.com/55.html

Abb. der Inschrift: https://books.google.de/books?id=pcLGzOIt_b0C&pg=PA383&lpg=PA382

- [George's] relics were removed from Lydda, where many pilgrims had visited them, to Zorava in the Hauran [and] served to impress his fame not only on the Syrian population, but on their Moslem conquerors, and again on the Crusaders, who in grateful memory of the saint's intervention on their behalf at Antioch built a new cathedral at Lydda to take the place of the church destroyed by the Saracens. This cathedral was in turn destroyed by Saladin.

http://www.nndb.com/people/444/000096156/

- How does this church relate to the cult of St. George at Diospolis?

http://www.academia.edu/7088244/Pope_Zacharias_741-52_and_the_Head_of_St...

++

Sonstige Orte, die mit dem hl. Georg im Zusammmenhang stehen:

Erwähnt als zerstört oder beschädigt bei http://byzcath.org/index.php/news-mainmenu-49/3854-a-list-of-churches-an...

  • St George's Church (Greek Catholic), Ma’alula, Damascus Governorate
     
  • St George's Church (Syriac Orthodox), Sadad, Homs Governorate

Aktuell von Zerstörung bedroht: